Author Topic: Kickstand on Thorn Sherpa  (Read 1473 times)

hutzelbein

Kickstand on Thorn Sherpa
« on: May 07, 2011, 01:47:13 am »
I have been using my Sherpa for 3 tours now (total time of ~10 weeks) and quite a bit cycling in between, and I found that I really really would like a kickstand. It's annoying to have to find somewhere to lean the bike (and often not finding anywhere) if the chain jumped, or simply to take a break. I often had to lay my bike on the side. I would love to install a kickstand, but I get the impression that the frame might be damaged by using one. Is this correct? Are there other Sherpa owners who installed a kickstand and have been using it while the bike was fully loaded (4 panniers and more)? Did it damage the frame? Are there any dos and donts? Any kickstands that work better than others?

Thanks!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Kickstand on Thorn Sherpa
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 12:32:35 pm »
I've been using a clickstand with my Nomad. I like not needing to lean my bike, too, to avoid chipping paint. The clickstand is slower to engage than a kickstand. but is also more versatile - can handle loads and slopes better.

mickeg

Re: Kickstand on Thorn Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 01:45:22 pm »
I have been quite happy with a Greenfield.  But it would prevent you from using the pump pegs along the seatstay.  I had no problems installing it, there is plastic sheeting between the bracket and the frame to protect the frame.  I had to retighten the bolts a few times.  If I was to do it again, I would use blue locktite on the threads.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 01:49:58 pm by mickeg »